Flickinger Learning Center’s mission is to provide educational opportunities for learners of all races, beliefs, and abilities for stronger individuals and a healthier community.
After-School Program Goals
The After-school Program goal is to dramatically increase the engagement of the children of our district. We expect an immediate impact on these children’s lives and accomplishments by taking action now.
- Maintain our current growth rates of approximately 10% faster in reading
- Increase family involvement and available educational opportunities
- Increase community awareness and involvement
- Increase attendance and engagement for students in the school environment
- Decrease behavioral referrals
We also promote duplication of our After-School Program. The new in-school locations are the first step in that process.
Jump-Start Preschool Goals
Preschool readiness is essential to future academic success. Exposing children to the school environment early helps prepare children for a future of positive learning experiences. The curriculum focuses on self-regulation skills, sensory processing, receptive and expressive language, articulation, executive functioning, and social-emotional skills. Children are exposed to literacy and practice fine and gross motor skills that are vital to their success in preschool, such as pencil placement, cutting skills, classroom expectations, and safety. The FLC Preschool Jumpstart program will foster a love of learning to make the child’s transition from home to preschool easier. This program will also allow the parents an opportunity to engage with their students for the first two days before fully transitioning into a teacher-taught program.
Teen Support Program Goals
- To bridge the gap in services for 7th-12th graders in Muscatine
- To ensure that teens in unstable home environments have a safe place to go and have their basic needs met for home, school, safety, and work
- To provide services that fill a current need gap, such as safe housing, medical care, school liaison, legal services, job placement and support coaching, counseling services, basic needs (clothing, toiletries, etc.)
- To support families that have opened their homes to take care of homeless teens (emotionally, practically, and legally)
- Support High School completion and post-secondary opportunities.